dt ogilvie, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor of Urban Entrepreneurship, Founder, Center for Urban Entrepreneurship (CUE) | Chair, CUE Advisory Board
Dr. dt ogilvie is a Distinguished Professor of Urban Entrepreneurship and former Dean and Professor of Business Strategy at Saunders College of Business at the Rochester Institute of Technology. She is the Founder of the Center for Urban Entrepreneurship (CUE) and recently assumed the position of Chair of Board of Advisors of CUE. Dr. ogilvie is formerly Professor of Business Strategy & Urban Entrepreneurship at Rutgers Business School - Newark and New Brunswick. She was Founding Director of The Center for Urban Entrepreneurship & Economic Development (CUEED) and Founding Director of the Scholarship Training and Enrichment Program (STEP), which helps underprepared incoming freshmen succeed at Rutgers Business School. Dr. ogilvie has published in top journals and five of her research papers have been recognized with research awards. Her research interests include strategic decision making and the use of creativity to enhance business and battlefield decision making and applying complexity theory to strategy and creativity; executive leadership strategies of multicultural women executives; women in the executive suite; assessing environmental dimensions; strategic thinking in the 21st century; cognition and strategic decision making; and entrepreneurship and economic development of urban cities.
Office Hours & Staff Assistant Information
Tuesday and Thursday
2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
And By Appointment.
- Ph.D. in Strategic Management from The University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- M.B.A. in Business Strategy and Policy from Southern Methodist University, 1986
- Distinguished Professor of Urban Entrepreneur | Saunders College of Business, Rochester Insti | 2014-Present
- Founder- The Center of Urban Development (CUE | Saunders College of Business, Rochester Insti | 2012-Present
- Dean & Professor of Business Strategy | Saunders College of Business, Rochester Insti | 2012-2014
- Founding Director, Scholars Training and Enri | Rutgers Business School | 2007-2012
- Founding Director, The Center For Urban Entre | Rutgers Business School | 2008-2012
- Professor of Business Strategy & Urban En | Rutgers Business School | 2011-2012
- Associate Professor of Strategic Management | Rutgers Business School | 2000-2011
- Associate Provost for Information Technology | Rutgers- The State University of New Jersey | 2001-2004
- Assistant Professor of Strategic Management | Graduate School of Management/ Rutgers, The S | 1994-2000
- Harvard Business School- The Art & Craft of Discussion Leadership
- Harvard University- Management Development Program
- Harvard University- Using Web Tools in Your Classroom
- Georgia State University- Master-Teaching Program
- University of Michigan- Inter-university Consortium for Political & Social Research
- The University of Texas at Austin- Advanced Marketing Program
- Bryn Mawr, HERS Summer Institute for Women in Higher Education Administration
- Kirkman, D., & ogilvie, d. (2014). An Examination of Entrepreneurial Orientation in Dedicated Biotechnology Firms: Context Matters. Organization Management Journal, 11 (2), 84-100.
- Post, C., Schneer, J., Reitman, F., & ogilvie, d. (2013). Pathways to Retirement: A Career Stage Analysis of Retirement Age Expectations. Human Relations .
- Jiao, H., ogilvie, d., & Cui, Y. (2010). An Empirical Study of Mechanisms to Enhance Entrepreneurs' Capabilities through Entrepreneurial Learning in an Emerging Market. The Journal of Chinese Entrepreneurship .
- ogilvie, d., & Simms, S. (2009). The Impact of Creativity Training on an Accounting Negotiation. Group Decision and Negotiation .
- ogilvie, d. (2008). Guest Column: How African American Women Lead. DiversityInc. .
- Liedtka, J., & ogilvie, d. (2007). Editors' Note- Special Issue: Design and Business. Journal of Business Strategy .
- Lucas, L., & ogilvie, d. (2006). Things Are Not Always What They Seem: How Reputation, Culture, and Incentives Influence Knowledge Transfer. The Learning Organization: An International Journal .
- Hough, J., & ogilvie, d. (2005). An Empirical Test of Cognitive Style and Strategic Decision Outcomes. Journal of Management Studies .
- ogilvie, d., & Vernon, H. (2005). Editors' Note- Outstanding Papers from the Eastern Academy of Management and Eastern Academy of Management- International Conferences. Group & Organization Management .
- Lucas, L., & ogilvie, d. (2005). The Evolution of Organizations' Search Strategies for Knowledge. International Journal of Information Technology and Management .
- ogilvie, d. (2004). Is your MBA degree worth it?. National Black MBA Association Online Newsletter .
- ogilvie, d. (2002). A fresh approach- Kmart strayed from success by making classic mistakes. Now it must reinvent itself once again if it wants to survive.. The Star-Ledger .
- ogilvie, d. (1998). Creative Action as a Dynamic Strategy: Using Imagination to Improve Strategic Solutions in Unstable Environments. Journal of Business Research .
- Beyer, J., Chattopadhyay, P., George, E., Glick, W., & ogilvie, d. (1997). The Selective Perception of Managers Revisited. Academy of Management Journal .
- Ford, C., & ogilvie, d. (1997). An Action-Based Approach to Business Education. Career Development International .
- Parker, P., & ogilvie, d. (1996). Gender, culture, and leadership: Toward a culturally distinct model of African American women executives' leadership strategies. Leadership Quarterly .
- Ford, C., & ogilvie, d. (1996). The Role of Creative Action in Organizational Learning and Change. Journal of Organizational Change Management .
- ogilvie, d. (1995). Profiting from a PhD.. The Bottom Line .
- ogilvie, d. (1995). Any Expert Can Teach. Or Can She?. The Teaching Scholar .
- ogilvie, d., & Fitzsimmons, J. (1990). Should Your Global Strategy Include China?. Business Perspectives , 16-19.
- Post, C., Schneer, J., Reitman, F., & ogilvie, d. (2011). Career Stage Differences in the Pathways to Retirement: Predictors of Expected Retirement Age at Mid and Late Career Stages. Eastern Academy of Management 2011 Annual Meeting.
- Schneer, J., Reitman, F., Post, C., & ogilvie, d. (2009). Managerial Career Success: A Gender Comparison in the 21st Century. Eastern Academy of Management.
- Schneer, J., Reitman, F., Post, C., & ogilvie, d. (2009). Gender, family structure, employment gaps, and career success: A longitudinal study of career paths of men and women MBAs. 2009 International Conference on Gender and Diversity in Organizations.
- Rasheed, H., & ogilvie, d. (2007). Strategic Foresight: Art or Science?. 2007 Eastern Academy of Management-International Conference on Managing in a Global Economy XII.
- Simms, S., & ogilvie, d. (2007). Resolving the Causal Ambiguity Paradox: Improvisation, Intuition, and Sustainable Competitive Advantage. 2007 Eastern Academy of Management-International Conference on Managing in a Global Economy XII.
- Rasheed, H., & ogilvie, d. (2006). Decision Support Systems Brainstorming: Using Bisociative Thinking for New Ideas. 2006 Annual Meeting of the Southeast Decision Sciences Institute.
- Fabian, F., & ogilvie, d. (2002). Using Technology to Enhance Creative Actions in Decision Making. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- ogilvie, d., & Hauge, F. (1999). Strategic Decision Making int he Face of 21st Century Technology. International Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute.
- ogilvie, d., & Lucas, L. (1999). African American Women Executives' Power Strategies: The Play for Power by Powerless People. International Eastern Academy of Management Conference.
- Lucas, L., & ogilvie, d. (1999). Inter-Unit Knowledge Transfer in Multinational Corporations. 1999 Academy of Management Mid-Year Conference on Organizational Learning.
- ogilvie, d. (1999). Strategy and Creative Action: A Complex Theory Perspective. 14th Texas Conference on Organizations.
- ogilvie, d. (1999). The Human Element: Creativity and Spirit. Third Annual Managing the Complex Conference.
- ogilvie, d., & McDaniel, R. (1998). Creativity from Complexity: An Organizational Perspective. The Annual Colloquium on Complex Systems and the Management of Organizations.
- ogilvie, d., Lucas, L., & Santoro, M. (1998). An Evolutionary Approach to Corporate Social Responsibility in a Dynamic and Changing Environment. International Association for Business and Society 1998 Proceedings Ninth Annual Conference.
- Lucas, L., & ogilvie, d. (1998). The Impact of Culture on Organizational Learning. 13th Annual Texas Conference on Organizations.
- ogilvie, d. (1998). Creative Action at the Edge of Chaos: Complexity, Creativity and Strategy. The Annual Colloquium on Complex Systems and the Management of Organizations.
- ogilvie, d., & Hauge, F. (1998). Strategic Decision Making: A Creative Action-Based Approach, Fifty-eight Annual Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. Fifty-eight Annual Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. Academy of Management Annual Conference..
- ogilvie, d. (1996). Creative Action as a Dynamic Strategy: Using Imagination to Improve Strategic Solutions in Unstable Environments. SEMS 1st International Conference on the Dynamics of Strategy.
- Sly, S., & ogilvie, d. (1996). Control in the Post-Modern Organization. 11th Texas Conference on Organizations.
- ogilvie, d. (1995). Using Imagination to Improve Strategic Solutions in Unstable Environments. Eastern Academy of Management.
- ogilvie, d., & Greene, P. (1995). Resource Based Decision Making in the Microbusiness. 10th Annual Texas Conference on Organizations.
- ogilvie, d. (2011). Social Entrepreneurship at Home and Abroad. BizEd Magazine.
- ogilvie, d. (1996). Session on Creativity in Management Decision Making. Career Paths for Management (pp. ). Prentice-Hall.
- ogilvie, d., & Hauge, F. (1999). Decision Making Requirements for Future Organizational Leaders: A Creative Action-Based Approach. Out-of-the-box Leadership: Transforming the 21st Century Army and Other Top-performing Organizations (pp. ). JAI Press.
- Fabian, F., & ogilvie, d. (2005). Strategy as Art: Using a Creative Action-Based Model for Strategy Formulation. Innovating Strategy Processes (pp. ). Blackwell Publishing.
- Miller, C., ogilvie, d., & Glick, W. (2006). Assessing the external environment: An enrichment of the archival tradition. Research Methodology in Strategy and Management, Vol. 3 (pp. ). Elsevier Ltd..
- ogilvie, d., & Hough, J. (2011). Strategic decisions and cognitive style-A non-US perspective. Cognition and Strategic Management: Rethinking Internationalization Strategies (pp. ). Nova Science Publishers, Inc..
- ogilvie, d. (1999). African American Women: Outsiders within Research on Leadership and Power Strategies. Power, Practice, Agency: Working Papers from .
- 1997: ogilvie, d., PSE&G's Urban Initiative: A Collaborative Approach to the Economic Development of Inner City Newark- A White Paper.